I can't believe it's not blog

Shout out to my peeps who got the wordplay...

Well anyway, welcome to the third decade of the 21st century. It looks like I built this space awhile back and have come back to it at times, only to drift away for an average of eight years. I found this place while attending an online conference last week - I looked up a professor who was a guest speaker and his blog link went straight to Blogger and I had a total flashback and dug in a little bit and holy moly. Talk about a blast from the past. 

A few things have changed since I last updated... I also found some other blogs hosted here that I started before I started this one. I've disabled them for now but I'll probably go through them and repost some of the old school greatest hits here, just for kicks. 

For a super quick update - I'm not department head anymore. I stepped down in August of 2024 due to burnout caused by lack of institutional/administrative support  combined with too much work that kept piling up. I'll write about it sometime here. Thanks basically to Cedric Mullins, a trip to California, a Reiki treatment, and some weed on the beach I realized that life is too short to put up with doing someone else's work all the time. And I haven't changed my mind one damn bit, aside from a brief stint as interim chair last fall to help with scheduling and staffing (and burning out again in December! Yeah!). I'll write about it here.

I think/hope I'd like to work on building a more permanent web home here. The conference I attended last week (which I'll write about) reopened my eyes to a lot of work and research in communications that I want to do, and in some way have been wanting to do all this time. I dig mass communications and radio, seriously - they'll always be my first loves when it comes to media, communications, production, and the like. But I'm afraid that's come at the cost of my interest in areas of political economy, critical studies, organizational communication, and the like. Not to go into too much detail here (it'll happen later) but I feel like I've ignored a significant part of who I am for a long time, just so I can take the easier road with fewer risks. IOW, I haven't been completely honest with myself. And I'm done with that - like Heavy D and the Boyz said a long time ago, "it's never too late and it's never too soon."

That said, bear with me. I've started projects like this before only to crash (obviously) - but I feel better this time around to actually following through. I'll do my best so stay tuned ;)


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beady Beady Beady

Never say never