Never say never
... just do the best you can.
Received official confirmation from the Dean's Office a few minutes ago that she recommends me for the Chair position starting in July. The confirmation was sent to the Provost's office and I was copied on it - from what I've heard from others (and from the Dean) is that once this point is reached it's pretty much a done deal. So I'll start up on July 1 officially for a three year term.
I'm pretty excited about the change. I'm also pretty anxious and hesitant about it. I know it will be a ton of (new) work in addition to what I regularly do. I guess the big question is what kind of new work and how much will it be? I know it will be different and more; I just don't know how different or how much. Again, part of bringing this thing back from the dead is to document how things go (without giving away too many details, of course). If anyone is ever interested, all of the truly personal thoughts and experiences are/will be *written down* and left among my effects. Have fun digging.
One thing I plan on doing in the meantime is getting myself organized and into some good and better habits regarding time management, team-building, personal reflection, and frugality. I'm really thinking about frugality this afternoon because I finished up my holiday shopping earlier today. I'm not going to lie - I got a little stupid in some places and I'll be paying for them (literally) in 2018. I'm thinking that "The Year of Living Frugally" should start now for me - after all the damage done, natch. Making tomorrow pay for today has always been a problem for me. The catch lately though is being reminded in small ways that there are fewer tomorrows than there used to be for me. So one thing I'll start focusing on now is getting that ship righted. The others will all need to be worked on as time goes by too. The good news is that I have a little bit of time to get my act together on these fronts before it's Showtime. The bad news is that somewhere inside I think I have more time than I really do.
Regardless, I am very appreciative of the opportunities coming up and I will engage them the best that I can do. There's no time to be scared, at least outwardly.
Received official confirmation from the Dean's Office a few minutes ago that she recommends me for the Chair position starting in July. The confirmation was sent to the Provost's office and I was copied on it - from what I've heard from others (and from the Dean) is that once this point is reached it's pretty much a done deal. So I'll start up on July 1 officially for a three year term.
I'm pretty excited about the change. I'm also pretty anxious and hesitant about it. I know it will be a ton of (new) work in addition to what I regularly do. I guess the big question is what kind of new work and how much will it be? I know it will be different and more; I just don't know how different or how much. Again, part of bringing this thing back from the dead is to document how things go (without giving away too many details, of course). If anyone is ever interested, all of the truly personal thoughts and experiences are/will be *written down* and left among my effects. Have fun digging.
One thing I plan on doing in the meantime is getting myself organized and into some good and better habits regarding time management, team-building, personal reflection, and frugality. I'm really thinking about frugality this afternoon because I finished up my holiday shopping earlier today. I'm not going to lie - I got a little stupid in some places and I'll be paying for them (literally) in 2018. I'm thinking that "The Year of Living Frugally" should start now for me - after all the damage done, natch. Making tomorrow pay for today has always been a problem for me. The catch lately though is being reminded in small ways that there are fewer tomorrows than there used to be for me. So one thing I'll start focusing on now is getting that ship righted. The others will all need to be worked on as time goes by too. The good news is that I have a little bit of time to get my act together on these fronts before it's Showtime. The bad news is that somewhere inside I think I have more time than I really do.
Regardless, I am very appreciative of the opportunities coming up and I will engage them the best that I can do. There's no time to be scared, at least outwardly.
Comments
Post a Comment