Time flies like an arrow...
... fruit flies like an orange. I had completely forgotten about this patch of internet that I started to work on over seven years ago. The only reason I found it is because I am in the process of merging the majority of my work space and content to the Google environment from places like Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft. I'll still use those platforms and services but I've finally decided to take the plunge and dig in mostly here. Man, some of those previous entries are silly. I was young and dumb then, so cut me some slack.
The main reason I'm moving mainly to Google/Android is because I need to start trimming my online footprint down into one primary area rather than have it scattered all over the place. It's getting to be a pain and hassle to remember all the services and passwords lately; I just don't have time for it. And I guess if I had to pick one "Big Boy" for all of this, I'm going with Google and Android. They're cheaper and practically everywhere, so why not. I was an Apple fan for a long time but that company has gone off the rails over the past couple of years and I'm not into it anymore. It's gotten to the point that for my next work computer I'm planning on requesting a top-shelf Chromebook with an external monitor at the office. I've used Apple at work and Windows at home forever, but the thrill is gone. I have a recent iMac at work that's buggy, slow, and the OS constantly wants me to do things that I don't want to do. It reminds me a lot of older Windows machines about 20 years ago and I didn't like it then... the funny thing is that Windows (to me anyway) seems more intuitive and non-intrusive these days, kind of like Apple was about 10-15 years ago. What goes around, I guess. But I still have trust issues with Microsoft and Windows that go back to the days of Windows 95 and 98 that I'll never get over. And Amazon can just go pound sand in principle. So, here I am. And it looks like I've already been here for longer than I realized.
I know Google has its faults and shortcomings as well. Lots of issues over the years with security, diversity in the office, selling out to the government, trying to control the world and all that. In all honesty though, can the same not be said of Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft? Plus, like I said the Google/Android environment seems to be a good fit for me these days.
There's another reason I'm in the process of merging in order to save time - as of July 1, 2018 I will be the Department Chair at work. It's projecting to be a ton of work and I'm starting to do some prepping for it, but one thing I'd like to start getting in the habit of is setting time aside to write for at least an hour each day. I'm sure there will be days where I can't meet that goal but I guess it doesn't hurt to at least make the effort. -And- since I'm "going Google" I think this might be a good space to write in.
What do I want to write about? Well, I'm hoping to document my public thoughts and perspectives during my tenure as Chair (it's a three-year term) in addition to just writing/blogging about basically anything. Aside from content, I'm hoping that writing here serves a couple of purposes: A) to give me a space to write/document/vent publicly; B) to provide some insight/information/advice to anyone out there who might find this and read it. That's basically it. I won't be hard-core plugging or pushing this space to the public. My plan is to maybe mention it to in-house colleagues but that's it. I don't want to make a hundred dollars off of this or anything (although that would be pretty cool). I just want a space to write what I want to write about in addition to having a place where people can do what they want with it (if that makes sense).
So, here I am. I guess if anyone reading this has any questions or comments they can leave them here or send me an email (stark@susqu.edu) is the best place. I'll work on tweaking the 'look' of all this as I go along, trust me :)
The main reason I'm moving mainly to Google/Android is because I need to start trimming my online footprint down into one primary area rather than have it scattered all over the place. It's getting to be a pain and hassle to remember all the services and passwords lately; I just don't have time for it. And I guess if I had to pick one "Big Boy" for all of this, I'm going with Google and Android. They're cheaper and practically everywhere, so why not. I was an Apple fan for a long time but that company has gone off the rails over the past couple of years and I'm not into it anymore. It's gotten to the point that for my next work computer I'm planning on requesting a top-shelf Chromebook with an external monitor at the office. I've used Apple at work and Windows at home forever, but the thrill is gone. I have a recent iMac at work that's buggy, slow, and the OS constantly wants me to do things that I don't want to do. It reminds me a lot of older Windows machines about 20 years ago and I didn't like it then... the funny thing is that Windows (to me anyway) seems more intuitive and non-intrusive these days, kind of like Apple was about 10-15 years ago. What goes around, I guess. But I still have trust issues with Microsoft and Windows that go back to the days of Windows 95 and 98 that I'll never get over. And Amazon can just go pound sand in principle. So, here I am. And it looks like I've already been here for longer than I realized.
I know Google has its faults and shortcomings as well. Lots of issues over the years with security, diversity in the office, selling out to the government, trying to control the world and all that. In all honesty though, can the same not be said of Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft? Plus, like I said the Google/Android environment seems to be a good fit for me these days.
There's another reason I'm in the process of merging in order to save time - as of July 1, 2018 I will be the Department Chair at work. It's projecting to be a ton of work and I'm starting to do some prepping for it, but one thing I'd like to start getting in the habit of is setting time aside to write for at least an hour each day. I'm sure there will be days where I can't meet that goal but I guess it doesn't hurt to at least make the effort. -And- since I'm "going Google" I think this might be a good space to write in.
What do I want to write about? Well, I'm hoping to document my public thoughts and perspectives during my tenure as Chair (it's a three-year term) in addition to just writing/blogging about basically anything. Aside from content, I'm hoping that writing here serves a couple of purposes: A) to give me a space to write/document/vent publicly; B) to provide some insight/information/advice to anyone out there who might find this and read it. That's basically it. I won't be hard-core plugging or pushing this space to the public. My plan is to maybe mention it to in-house colleagues but that's it. I don't want to make a hundred dollars off of this or anything (although that would be pretty cool). I just want a space to write what I want to write about in addition to having a place where people can do what they want with it (if that makes sense).
So, here I am. I guess if anyone reading this has any questions or comments they can leave them here or send me an email (stark@susqu.edu) is the best place. I'll work on tweaking the 'look' of all this as I go along, trust me :)
Comments
Post a Comment