So here I am again - I know, but don't ask.

I noticed today that The View took the really strange step of inviting Bill O'Reilly on to the show today.  Apparently there were enough fireworks to cause Whoopi & Joy to actually leave the stage during the interview.  Here it is, in case you missed it --




Yikes - but first a disclaimer... for starters, I am not a regular viewer of the program.  Usually I'm too busy in classes or meetings during the time the show airs but even if I had more free time then, I like to think I'd be doing something better than watching the show.  What brought this event to my attention was Facebook - two of my so-called friends posted the clip with the requisite snarky comments, and a post from Media Matters also made it on my feed... so I checked it out.

A couple of obvious observations -
1)  I, for one, actually think what Whoopi and Joy did was a good thing and I don't blame them for doing it.  Looking at their reactions to Billo's comments, I think they were ready to take a swing at him if they hadn't left, and that's no good.  I imagine anyone who punches Bill O'Reilly is probably just going to get a bunch of slime and Vitalis all over their hands, so what's the point?  But ladies - if you invite a pig into your living room, don't be surprised when it vomits and craps all over the floor.  
2)  At the same time I think Babwah Wawa made a good point, sort of ragging on them for leaving but also not letting O'Reilly off the hook for his comments. What's bothering me at this point is that the MSM is all over their walking out but O'Reilly's comments about "Muslims killing us" is not being scrutinized - and it really needs to be.  The audience reaction when he made those comments is disgusting enough and needs to be addressed.  Everyone knows O'Reilly is a racist but the tacit approval of his public opinion is what bothers me the most.

But I couldn't help rolling over and over in my head why O'Reilly would have been invited onto the show in the first place.  And then it hit me - Falafel Boy McSmirky has a new book out!  See, I missed that one too, mainly because I try not to spend hard-earned money lining the pockets of multi-millionaires who really couldn't give a shit whether I read their books or not.  But what a great way to generate buzz over arguably the same kind of writing we used to be admonished for in the 4th grade.

And this did generate buzz - I'd imagine that a lot of other people who don't watch The View have at least heard about what happened and have probably taken a look at the clip online.

And this is where the problem really starts to make itself apparent to me - its with the "us vs. them" or "left vs. right" arguments in the MSM.  For me, its all for show - O'Reilly goes onto a show like The View where he knows the atmosphere would arguably be different than what he's used to.  But we also see O'Reilly make occasional appearances on The Daily Show, and quite often see Jon Stewart on The Factor (but don't forget Stewart has a new book out too).  I'm not saying that people who oppose each other politically should not get together and talk - but don't make like you hate each others guts and then act all chummy about it either during the show or some other time.  I know, I know - here's the news flash - Its all about show - its all for ratings - its all for hyping a book - its all smoke and mirrors and dogs and ponies.  But we all nod our heads, chuckle, fart and move on to the next thing, like the good sheep we are.  So what if O'Reilly basically got away with a racist rant?  Seeing hosts walk off the set during an interview makes for great teevee, which is all that really matters...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can't believe it's not blog

Beady Beady Beady

Never say never